The Ubica-eviction: a report.

Nieuws, gepost door: nn op 28/05/2013 05:03:33

Waar: Ubica, Ganzemarkt, Utrecht, Netherlands (GPS lat: 52.092149 lon: 5.119326)
Wanneer: 24/05/2013 - 14:19

Suddenly, they came storming out. They were about ten or fifteen. Black clothes and balaclavas. They had a fire extinguisher, a ladder and some tires on them. And gasoline. The great final act of the sad drama of the fall of Ubica was unfolding.

five people in black clothing running from burning tires in front of the ubica
three people in black clothing standing on the roof, the fire still burns
the riot police, covered in paint, encounters two people locked-on inside

Up to about eleven o'clock the tension was so thick, you could cut it with a knife. Nobody knew what was going to happen, except three nervous nail biters on the terrace of a café on the Ganzenmarkt, the square on which the Ubica is situated, the place that offered the best view of the spectacle that is the Ubica eviction, last Friday. It seemed like such an ordinary Friday night for the beer drinkers on the Ganzenmarkt. Another workweek gone by, another night consumed away. Nothing's out of the ordinary, tomorrow is day like any other. But those three visitors knew better. They had heard that the squatters would not just give up their autonomous space after 21 years. "Not without a fight", was announced on Indymedia. But of course no time was specified so it came down to nail biting and suspenseful waiting. One thing was certain: in a little while the town hall would receive a make-over.

If you had gone to order a beer you would have missed the spectacle. As fast as they came, the “ninjaesque types,” as they were described in the media later, disappeared. Suddenly the city hall was blue and the square was on fire.

It was clearly a well-coordinated action. The group knew exactly what it was doing. The city hall was decorated with blue paint and the window received a good smacking with a fire extinguisher. Meanwhile, someone else spray painted a surveillance camera. And right in front of Ubica was a barricade of tires set aflame. Among the jet-black smoke from the tires, which filled the whole square, the black-clad people disappeared. On the roof of the Ubica people with balaclavas appeared. A banner rolled out of the window: “Vloet mag de Ubica weer ruïneren?” [“Vloet may let Ubica fall to ruin again?”] And from the roof: “KOM MAAR DAN!” [“COME AT US THEN!”]

At first, the audience stood and apathetically looked on. But then, when the tires began to crackle, they woke up. The people on the roof had in the meantime lit some skyrockets. Free entertainment on the weekend! They were not expecting it. They filled the show with a cascade of prejudices: hippies! profiteers! They're on benefits! They do nothing all week! Unfortunately, they were unaware that they were spectators of a historical moment. Witnesses of violent resistance against capital - who would have dared to even dream of such a thing in 2013?

It took a while for the police to arrive. The first two cops that arrived panicked. They tried to close off one half of the square about three times, forgetting the other side of the square - or not daring to come near it. The squad on the roof had enough paint bombs ready to fill the whole square.

Using a megaphone the police ordered the disaster tourists to leave the square. They were completely ignored. It was only when the police on the square began being pelted by paint bombs that it immediately became empty. A heavy skyrocket was fired at the square. It was probably aimed at the police car parked in front of the town hall.

Suddenly the popo were everywhere. Plainclothes, mounted cops, riot police, cops in ordinary uniforms, even the city guard and a helicopter were deployed. From that moment on no one could come on or leave the square. The people who lived right next to the Ubica were out of luck. They had to wait until it was evicted before they could go inside. The evacuation took sixteen hours.

The initial shock on the terrace was gone. Little was happening outside. The fire on the square spread to a trashcan next to it. The people on the roof had the square well colored and threw occasional heavy fireworks down. The police waited, the residents inside had their house barricaded in every possible way and chained themselves to the house. It must have been very thrilling inside, but outside it was especially cold. Drunk consumers began teasing either the police or the squatters. The lights that shined on the city hall, were turned off when the press arrived.

A dark blue riot control van stopped in front of the Ubica to film the building, probably with an infrared camera. After half an hour the van, now pink, drove away.

The riot police had found an entrance, on the side. Using a staircase they climbed. From the café it was not visible what exactly they were doing, but it was audible. The single cop who returned, was almost unrecognizable as a riot cop: completely covered in paint.

Not until 3 PM the next day was the last squatter removed from the house. It must have been a tiring night, but the setup was successful. Not apathetically waiting until you're dragged out of your home, but going into a frontal attack and making it as hard as possible for the cops to evict you. It's sad that after 21 years the Ubica will fall back into the hands of Vloet. And if it was inevitable, then at least under heavy resistance. And they succeeded very will in that. The squatters have taken matters into their own hands and have posed a noteworthy opposition to the violent reality that is capitalism. An example that we can all learn from, squatter or not.

Kraken gaat door! [Squatting continues!]

Tags: kraken ontruiming ubica


A translation from this page:
Published on this one:

Eviction Ubica

Saturday May 25th at 3pm, the last squatter of the Ubica was removed from the building. Since Friday evening 11pm, police and riot police were busy evicting the building on the Ganzenmarkt in Utrecht.

After nine month procedures, the higher court decided on Friday that the squatters had to leave the building by Monday. The squatters, on their side, decided not to wait until Monday. “The authorities choose the confrontation. Vloet (owner of the buildings, red.), the judge and the City have chosen this path. If that’s what they want, well they can get it”, according to a statement made by the squatters.

By attacking the City Hall and setting on fire car tires on Friday night, the squatters gave no choice to the police but to react. Fireworks were lit and police officers and police vehicles were targeted with paint. Ten people barricaded themselves in the 13th century old house, some of them were chained in lock-ons. This ensured the eviction would take such a long time.
The squatters from the Ubica are angry because according to them, the house is now back in the hands of mr Vloet (contrary to statements by City council that the house will be sold to a new owner who wants to build a hotel, red.). Squatter Jochem: “One: Vloet stated he withdraws from selling the building to the new owner, Klaassen. Two: he stated that he intends to bring his property back in the state it was twenty years ago: a burned-out ruin. We will not stand by and watch the property fall back into the hands of a criminal.”

Wim Vloet, the owner of the house is a notorious slumlord in Utrecht. He was supposed to sell the property to Willem Klaassen, who wants to establish a hotel. Jochem: “Vloet is the one that let the property dilapidate over twenty years. Vloet has ignored every non-compliance penalty from the municipality and and has never done any maintenance whatsoever to his property. Why should we now trust that he would do his best for this monumental building?”

During a meeting on Saturday, local residents reacted shocked. They are angry about the paint on the street and all the commotion, the closure of a big part of the square. “Very understandable, and we apologise for the inconvenience. I’d like to mention here that the decision to evict did not come from us. We have accelerated the process. You can also consider that without the squatters, the building would had never survived these last twenty years.” About the paint, Jochem says: “It was not aimed at the residents, their belongings nor any citizen, but to keep police away. No one has been injured, no dangerous objects such as stones were thrown, and all the paint can be washed away.”
The demonstration the squatters had announced for Saturday night has been cancelled.


total solidarity total respect total complicity with the UBICA SQUATTERS..



[spam deleted]

Global IMC Network Afrika Ambazonia Canarias Estrecho / Madiaq Kenya South Africa Canada London, Ontario Maritimes Quebec Oost Azië Japan Manila QC Saint-Petersburg Europa Abruzzo Alacant Antwerpen Athens Austria Barcelona Belarus Belgium Bristol Brussels Bulgaria Calabrië Cyprus Emilia-Romagna Estrecho / Madiaq Euskal Herria Galiza Duitsland grenoble Hungary Ireland Istanbul Italy La Plana Liege liguria Lille Linksunten Lombardia London Madrid Malta Marseille Nantes Napoli Netherlands Northern England Norway Nottingham Oost-Vlaanderen Paris/Île-de-France Piemonte Poland Portugal Roma Roemenië Russia Scotland Sverige Switzerland Torun Toscana Ukraine UK-GB Latijns Amerika Argentina Bolivia Chiapas Chile Sur Braszilië Sucre Colombia Ecuador Mexico Peru Puerto Rico Qollasuyu Rosario santiago Uruguay Valparaiso Venezuela Oceanië Aotearoa Manila Melbourne Perth QC Sydney Zuid-Azië India Verenigde Staten Arizona Atlanta Austin Baltimore Big Muddy Binghamton Buffalo Charlottesville Chicago Cleveland Colorado Columbus DC Hawaii Houston Hudson Mohawk LA Madison Michigan Milwaukee Minneapolis/St. Paul New Mexico New Orleans NYC Philadelphia Pittsburgh Portland Richmond Rochester Rogue Valley San Diego San Francisco Bay Area Santa Cruz, CA Sarasota Seattle Urbana-Champaign Worcester West Azië Beirut Israel Palestine Process FBI/Legal Updates Mailing Lists Process & IMC Docs Projecten Print Radio Video Regio's United States Topics Biotech